Remember to check your land tax assessment carefully. Sometimes (and more often than you think) the assessment can be wrong and can be challenged.
Areas where assessments can be wrong include:
- Ownership interests not properly apportioned.
- The value is too high.
- Heritage restrictions have not been factored in.
- Contamination issues have not been considered.
- The dimensions and areas are not correct.
- Land that should have been separately valued have been valued together.
The above list is not comprehensive. Any objection to the valuation must be lodged promptly and within strict time frames.
Contact a member of our Property Law team for further discussion.